Home

Monday, September 27, 2010

Just wrap mine in newspaper please.





Birthday presents are fantastic. No question. However - the paper and accompanying cards can be equally as delightful.

My husband gave me a vintage Prada wallet for my birthday this year. Beautiful - great brand - no consumerism guilt - perfect!

He had wrapped it in this beautiful recycled paper. Indian newspaper screen printed with a simple Hindi jewel style design.

Now while India is particularly topical at the moment - will the Games go ahead or not - they are a country with a rather large population of poor. They are also a country filled with beauty, colour and ingenuity. Just look at Chands garden to see what they can do with a bit of trash; http://www.nekchand.info/ - incredible! A truly inspiring piece of work that is definitely on my personal bucket list.

I am going to investigate further and see if the paper I have received is a community project or an artists folly. Either way I want more. It reminds me of when T2 opened in Sydney and we were all so impressed with heir use of mainly Chinese paper as wrapping etc.

This ability to turn the ordinary, mass trash item into a usable upcycled artistic part of our life is exciting. It is a tangible, immediate representation of 'rubbish' as beauty.
A reminder of just how much we take for granted.



My husband bought his piece at 'A Shop Called Clarence', Maroondah H'way, Healesville 3777.

No comments:

Post a Comment